All reports are taken from the NOLA.COM website collection of news stories and a map/database compiled from reports by The Times-Picayune. Readers who can positively identify an “unidentified victim” or have other corrections please leave that information in the comments section or contact me directly: firstname.lastname@example.org with the word Victims in the subject line. Where I indicate the victim was never publicly identified, that means their name was never published on NOLA.COM. If you can identify a victim, please leave a comment.
This list will be published incomplete as I finish each month. Please come back if you are looking for someone not yet listed.
Friends and family are encouraged to leave memorial comments. May God have mercy on their and all our souls.
- An unidentified (as of Jan 1) victim was found dead on the sidewalk in the 1800 block of North Villere Street at about 7 p.m. This was the first reported murder of 2012. A victim’s name will be added if it can be found.
- Percy Pruitt, 19, of New Orleans was found dead lying on the sidewalk with multiple gunshot wound in the 1800 block of Murl Street in Algiers on Jan. 3.
- Lamont Phillips, 34, of New Orleans died on Jan. 5 from a shooting that occurred on Jan. 4. Police found Phillips’ bullet-riddled body at 9:46 p.m. in the 2600 block of North Tonti Street.
- Michael Johnson, 21, died Jan. 9 of multiple gunshot wounds shortly after midnight in the 8500 block of Curran Road in eastern New Orleans.
- Eric Robinson, 41, of New Orleans was shot in the head before his body was doused in gasoline and set ablaze, NOLA.COM reported. Police discovered him at the edge of a lot at the corner of North Rocheblave and Independence streets after fire officials responded to a report of a car fire nearby in the 2100 block of Pauline St. Officials believe the car and murder are related.
- Ten other individuals were shot on Jan. 9, and in Jefferson Parish 11-year-old Keian Ester was happily playing his Xbox inside his godbrother’s apartment in Jefferson Parish Friday night when three bullets fired from the street ripped through the front wall. One took out his eye and exited the back of his head, said his mother, Tameka Johnson-Ester. Keian never regained consciousness.
- 41-year-old Joseph Evans and 17-year-old Joseph Elliott were shot multiple times inside their residence in the 2800 block of St. Louis Street around midnight on Jan. 9.
- Lamar Ellis, 21, of New Orleans died of multiple gunshot wounds to the body about 1:40 p.m near Tchoupitoulas Street and Jackson Avenue on Jan. 10.
- On Jan. 12 gunmen killed three people and injured two others inside a red-brick ranch house in a quiet eastern New Orleans residential neighborhood. Killed were Reyland Berry, 60; Troy Leslie, 37; and Keishuane Keppard, 20. The violence continued when a gunfight broke out between police and the suspects after a car chase. Cops killed one of the suspects and shot two others. Police were called to 7427 Devine Ave. about 9:30 a.m., where they found a man and a woman dead inside the home, and two other women and a man with gunshot wounds.
- A man was shot dead late Jan. 12 night in front of Mike’s Food Store at 3708 St. Claude Avenue. No identification was available via NOLA.com
- Police fatally shot Donald Johnson, 21, of New Orleans at Press Drive and Chef Menteur Highway when he allegedly fired at officers after leading them on a chase from eastern New Orleans to Gentilly about 9:30 a.m. He was a suspect in the murders in eastern New Orleans on Jan. 12.
- Gerald Barnes Jr. died from a gunshot wound to the head after someone shot him about 9 p.m. Jan. 17 in the 3100 block of Olive White Avenue in Desire.
- Antonio Miller, 21, of New Orleans was shot outside Mondo in the 900 block of Harrison Avenue about 3 p.m. Jan. 20. He died on the scene, the 16th person killed in the city this year.
- Kenyatta Woolridge, 37, of New Orleans and her sister were shot about 9:24 p.m.Jan 23 in a home in the 3300 block of Pauger Street. Woolridge died of her injuries on Jan. 24.
- Harry “Mike” Ainsworth. Ainsworth, 44, was shot just after 7 a.m. Jan. 24 when he tried to intervene in a carjacking in the 500 block of Vallette Street.
- Brian Williams, 32, of New Orleans was shot to death just before midnight Jan. 26. inside a house in the 2600 block of Dante Street.
- Patrick Lloyd, 21, of New Orleans was shot about 12:40 a.m. Jan. 28 in the 1900 block of St. Ann Street in the 6th Ward.
- 25-year-old Major Bonner, who was shot about 4 p.m. Jan. 28 on Washington Avenue near the corner of South Broad Street in front of the Kajun Express seafood restaurant.
- A 27-year-old New Orleans man was shot dead Tuesday night in eastern New Orleans. Chris M. Williams was murdered in the parking lot of the Chateau Orleans apartment complex in the 14700 block of Chef Menteur Highway. The victim was not identified on NOLA.com.
- 29-year-old Ricky Randolph was identified as the victim in a shooting in eastern New Orleans in a story on the suspects arrest published Jan. 30.
- James Gould, 29, was gunned down Feb. 3 in the 7th Ward as he ran from his attackers. He collapsed and died at the intersection of Annette and North Villere streets – a stone’s throw from the spot where the first homicide victim of the new year was killed.
- Someone shot Paul Nichols, 31, of New Orleans on Feb. 17 about 10:15 p.m. in the 3100 block of Urquhart Street.According to a daily police log, an unknown person walked up to the SUV after the crash and fired four more shots at Nichols, whom paramedics pronounced dead on the scene.
- Conrad Blanchard, 35, died from a lacerated spleen he was beaten on Feb. 22. Blanchard returned to a friend’s house in the 900 block of North Rocheblave Street, where he was “cleaned up” and then went to sleep. The exact location where Blanchard was attacked was not immediately know
- A 99-year-old man who was found dead in his home last week was smothered and strangled, according to the Orleans Parish coroner. Leon Brier was found in the 1700 block of Gentilly Boulevard on Feb. 23.
- Cory Henderson, 19, of New Orleans died from a single gunshot wound to the head about 3 p.m. near the corner of Annunciation and Adele streets on Feb. 26.
- Ricky Summers was supposed to show up early for tutoring at KIPP Central City Academy in New Orleans on Saturday, March 3. Instead, the 16-year-old’s lifeless body was found in a backyard about mid-morning that day. He was wearing his school uniform. New Orleans police received a call about a body in the 2200 block of Terpsichore Street on Saturday about 9:05 a.m. Summers died as a result of a single gunshot wound to the back.
- A 36-year-old woman who was wounded in January during a double shooting died March 8. Angela Woolridge of New Orleans was brought to Interim LSU Public Hospital on Jan. 23 with a bullet wound to her abdomen after someone shot her and her sister about 9:30 p.m. in their home in the 3300 block of Pauger Street.
- Someone shot Davshawn Lane about 8:30 p.m. March 12 at the Chateau d’Orleans apartments in the 14000 block of Chef Menteur Highway.
- A 30-year-old man who was in a fight on a St. Roch corner early March 12 died from his injuries a short time later at a local hospital, prompting the Orleans Parish coroner to rule the death a homicide. Eric Brasley got into the fight about 2 a.m. near Painters and North Prieur streets.
- Royal Wilson, 44, died at 8:25 p.m. at Interim LSU Public Hospital from a gunshot wound to the head on March 15. Wilson was shot about 7:45 p.m. in the 3000 block of Gen. Ogden Street.
- A gunman opened fire on Rayshon Jynes, 18, of New Orleans about 5:30 p.m. March 18 in the 3800 block of D’Hemecourt Street, near the corner of South Scott Street.
- Jerry Guillory, 35, and Timothy Russell, 32, of New Orleans were shot inside a Honda SUV about 9:45 p.m. March 22in the 5400 block of Burgundy Street.
- Keith Garner, 39 of New Orleans died at Interim LSU Public Hospital about 2:30 p.m. March 25. Police allege that his girlfriend, Monica Pollard, 31, killed him. Garner went to Pollard’s home in the Faubourg Lafitte housing development in the 2200 block of Orleans Avenue about 1:50 p.m. to use the restroom, according to a daily police log. Pollard refused to let Garner in, and he forced his way inside, police said. The pair began to quarrel and a fight ensued. Pollard allegedly picked up a knife and stabbed Garner in the chest. He died a short time later at the hospital.
- 31-year-old Denard Alexander died March 28. Police responding to a call of a man shot found Alexander in the stairwell of an apartment building in the Palmetto Apartments complex the 3800 block of Cambronne Street, near the corner of Palmetto Street
- Tommy Green, 28, was found shot to death. March 29 in a driveway in the 8200 block of Curran Boulevard near a pickup truck.
- A man was fatally shot inside a car in eastern New Orleans early March 39. A passerby spotted the victim inside a Nissan Altima in the 6800 block of Cindy Place about 5 a.m. The victim was never identified on NOLA.com.
- Tommie Thurmond Jr., died at the LSU Trauma Center March 30 after someone shot him in what the Times-Picayune called “a brazen drive-by shooting” while he drove a BMW lake bound on South Carrollton Avenue. The shooting happened about 11:40 a.m. at the corner of Palm Street.
- The victim of a fatal shooting in the Florida neighborhood April 2 has been identified as a 23-year-old West Bank woman. New Orleans police investigate a homicide that occurred about 11:30 a.m. Monday, April 2, in the 3100 block of Lausat Place.
Constance Streho, of Gretna, was shot when someone opened fire on her just after 11 a.m. in the 3100 block of Lausat Place Streho, who was in a Lincoln Town Car when the shooting happened, died on the scene from multiple gunshot wounds.
- The Orleans Parish coroner’s office has identified one man who was fatally shot April 3 in eastern New Orleans Tuesday afternoon and is trying to identify another person who was killed several hours later in Algiers. Kermit P. Hartzog, 27, of New Orleans died about 4 p.m. in the 7200 block of Bundy Road.
- On April 3 Around 10 p.m., a person was found dead in the 2100 block of Springbrook Lane. No subsequent identification was published.
- Darnell Brown, 30, of New Orleans died at 11:30 p.m. April 6 at Touro Infirmary from a gunshot wound to the chest. A gunman shot Brown about an hour earlier as he stood in the 3800 block of Annunciation Street, police said. Someone drove Brown to the hospital, where doctors pronounced him dead.
- On April 13 a 32-year-old New Orleans man was shot dead Friday night in Stallings Playground in the 2700 block of Laharpe Street. Ali Robinson was shot multiple times and died at the scene, officials said. He appeared to have bullet wounds in the chest and arms, said John Gagliano, chief investigator for the Orleans Parish Coroner’s Office. “I heard eight shots,” said a woman who has lived 18 years along the Lapeyrouse Street side of the park which has two basketball courts, a pool, swings and an area where people gather to barbecue and play dominoes. “He’s not one of our park boys,” Dyan “Momma d” French Cole said of Robinson. “He’s not a part of what we do here.
- Gunfire claimed the lives of an 18-year-old man who was shot in the 7th Ward on April 16 and a teenage boy who was shot while he waited for his school bus near a busy St. Roch intersection early Monday, authorities said. Jeremy Doughty, 16, died at Interim LSU Public Hospital at 7:57 a.m. Monday after he was shot on the corner of Franklin Avenue and Abundance Street about an hour earlier.
- The same day Rodney Ruffin, 18, of New Orleans was shot just before 4 p.m. in the 1700 block of Touro Street. Ruffin died at Interim LSU Public Hospital A from his wounds at 10:34 p.m.
- A 27-year-old man shot April 19 in Central City died hours later at a local hospital from his wounds, the Orleans Parish coroner’s office said. A gunman opened fire on Keith Thomas, of New Orleans, about 1:30 p.m. in the 2400 block of Clara Street.
- Authorities have identified the man who was fatally wounded during a shooting late April 19 in the 7th Ward. Joshua George, 22, was walking in the 1800 block of North Rocheblave Street at 10:55 p.m. when a man armed with a handgun got out of a nearby car and opened fire.
- The man who was shot and killed while driving through Central City April 19 has been identified as Jeffrey C. Dominique. Dominique, 28, of New Orleans died from multiple gunshot wounds after someone shot him about 4 p.m. on Jackson Avenue between Brainard and Carondelet streets.
- New Orleans police are investigating a shooting in Hollygrove that killed a 19-year-old man, officer Frank Robertson III said. The shooting occurred at or near Fig and Eagle streets April 19. Police received a call about shots fired about 6:25 p.m. Friday. They found Brandon Baker, who was scheduled to graduate from Walter L. Cohen High School this year, sprawled on the steps of a vacant white duplex.
- A 57-year-old Covington man was shot April 24 in the 4500 block of Papania Street in eastern New Orleans. Bruce Cucchiara died shortly after noon at the LSU Trauma Center. Police found Cucchiara beside his truck at the Mark VII apartment complex.
- New Orleans police are investigating a double shooting at Montegut and Pleasure streets in which a teenager was killed. A 15-year-old was shot in the head and and was pronounced dead after being taken to a hospital April 27. No subsequent identification was published.
- New Orleans’ murder rate climbed to 62 April 30 after the death of a 3-month-old girl was ruled a homicide and a woman was found fatally shot in a secluded part of eastern New Orleans in separate incidents. The deaths were two of nine incidents in which 11 people were killed or injured during the weekend, according to police logs.An autopsy found that Rynjae Lashell Mitchell died from blunt force trauma to her abdomen and chest and also had injuries to her head and face. After an autopsy, the death was ruled a homicide.
- Meanwhile, a man who was fatally wounded inside a Village de l’Est nightclub early April 29 has been identified. Jose Zelaya-Guillen, 26, of New Orleans was shot about 6:30 a.m. in the Mimosa Dancing Club in the 4600 block of Michoud Boulevard.
- Brandon Adams, 15, and an 18-year-old man were walking near the corner of Montegut and Pleasure streets in Desire about 8:35 p.m. April 27 when two men approached them from behind. One man opened fire, striking Adams in the head and the other man in the lower back. Brandon died on the scene. The 18-year-old man was in stable condition at a local hospital.
- A body found in eastern New Orleans early April 30 has been identified as 15-year-old Christine Marcelin. An aunt said the teen was the girlfriend of 15-year-old Brandon Adams, who was fatally shot Friday night in Desire. A homeless man stumbled across Christine’s bullet-riddled body about 7 a.m. Monday in the 5000 block of Alcee Fortier Boulevard. Both were 8th graders at KIPP Believe College Prep at 1607 South Carrollton Avenue, according to the school. Christine had attended the school for three years.
- A 20-year-old man, who was walking to work, was found dead in the middle of an Algiers street by New Orleans Police on May 1, according to family and friends. Jarmon Hollerman was found dead at 3:44 p.m. near the intersection of Herschel Street and Westbend Parkway. He had been shot several times and was pronounced dead on the scenePolice have not released a motive or suspects in the shooting.
- Norris Gray was shot May 1 at or near Second and Clara streets and died, according to preliminary information. The 22-year-old man was shot multiple times and died at the scene.
- A man died after he was shot several times May 1 in the St. Claude neighborhood. New Orleans police responded about 1:30 p.m. to the shooting in the 1400 block of Independence Street, near North Villere Street.
- Officer Frank Robertson, a New Orleans Police Department spokesman, said detectives who were on their lunch break at a nearby restaurant heard the gunshots and rushed outside to find Johnson on the ground. He said they saw a white Ford Escape, with dark tinted windows and lettering on it, possibly blue, speed away. Officers chased the SUV, which may have had two people inside, for miles before losing it in Uptown, Robertson said. Police continued to search for the SUV and suspects Tuesday afternoon, he said. James Theophile, who lives around the corner from the shooting scene, said he heard about 17 shots while he watched the noon news. Crime scene technicians eventually placed more than two dozen evidence cones, often used to mark bullet casings, on the street and neutral ground near where Johnson lay.
- Archie Jefferson’s wife died as a result of a savage beating, not a gunshot, contradicting initial reports that she had been shot, according to Orleans Parish Coroner.. Sandra “Sandy” Peters Jefferson, 58, died at LSU Interim Hospital a day after the event on May 11, the coroner’s office said. The cause of death was skull fractures caused by blunt force trauma, the coroner said.
- New Orleans police report that a 31-year-old man who was shot in the head in the 7th Ward May 15 died of his wounds. The shooting occurred about 10:30 p.m. at the intersection of Pauger and Villere streets. He was later identified as Christian Medrano, 31, of New Orleans
- The Orleans Parish coroner’s office has identified the man fatally wounded during a shooting May 18 in St. Roch. Freddie Robinson, 19, of New Orleans died at Interim LSU Public Hospital after someone shot him about noon in the 2500 block of North Tonti Street.
- A 5-year-old girl and a 33-year-old woman died from gunshot wounds May 19 in a fusillade in Central City, New Orleans police said. A 10-year-old boy had graze wounds to the face and leg, a 20-year-old man was wounded in the wrist and a 24-year-old man was shot in the face, police said. The 5-year-old Briana Allen, was shot as she stood on a porch tied with Happy Birthday balloons. “It was my grandson’s birthday party,” said a woman, referring to the 10-year-old boy. She said she was sitting on bricks across the street near the Guste high rise when “three dudes came from that direction,” the intersection of Simon Bolivar Avenue and Clio Street. The 33-year-old woman, Shawanna Pierce, mother of three, was shot while driving a green Mazda 3 on Simon Bolivar Avenue. After she was hit, she crashed the car into a utility pole at Simon Bolivar and Thalia Street. She had nothing to do with the violence; a bullet traveled about three blocks and hit her, said police, noting the information is preliminary. Blood was smeared on an airbag that deployed in the crash.
- New Orleans police are investigating the shooting death of a local 33-year-old man in eastern New Orleans Wednesday morning. The incident occurred about 9:36 a.m. in the 12200 block of the I-10 Service Road. No identification was ever provided.
- An 18-year-old man shot multiple times May 31 in the 1800 block of North Roman Street has died. Chad Davis died at a local hospital at 1:30 p.m. Police received a call about 9:14 a.m. about the injured man who was transported in critical condition to the hospital.
He walked out his parents’ home to his car, officer Frank Robertson III said. A gunman approached, fired and fled, he said
- An unidentified 24-year-old man was shot to deaty in Central City early June 3rd morning. The shooting occurred approximately 1:10 a.m. in the 1900 block of Third Street. No identification was published by NOLA.com
- A 21-year-old man was shot to death Monday June 4 in the afternoon in the 7th Ward. Tony Locure Jr., a member of the Helen Cox High School basketball team that won a state championship in 2008, was shot in the chest, back and arm about 2:40 p.m. in the 1900 block of North Prieur Street, authorities said. The slaying puzzled his parents who said they could not think of any reason anyone would want to harm him. His uncle Dwayne Patterson speculated Locure was lured to his death by someone he knew.
- Jonathan Lewis, 21, of New Orleans was shot to death June 11 as he drove through Gentilly, New Orleans police said. The victim, whose identity was not immediately available, was in his car near Filmore Avenue and Eads Street when someone in a passing car opened fire on him about 8:45 a.m., said officer Hilal Williams, a Police Department spokesman. The victim continued to drive after he was shot but came to a stop when his car crashed through the fence of a daycare center at Filmore and Dreux avenues, Williams said. No children were in the daycare’s yard at the time, and no other injuries were reported, she said.
- Also on June 11 the Orleans Parish coroner’s office identified two men killed during separate shootings during the weekend in New Orleans. Lonnie Johnson, 21, of New Orleans was shot at 11:46 p.m. Saturday in the 1300 block of South Saratoga Street. Johnson was sitting on the steps of his house when an unknown person approached him and starting shooting. Johnson was shot multiple times and was rushed to Interim LSU Public Hospital. Johnson died from his injuries at 1:30 a.m. Sunday. Later Sunday, a 24-year-old was killed and a 19-year-old woman was injured when someone shot them about 5:30 p.m. in the 7900 block of Olive Street. David Peters was pronounced dead on the scene.
- A 74-year-old woman in Gentilly was murdered June. 13. early Wednesday morning. The victim was a caretaker in a group home in the 5600 block of Lafaye Street where the killing took place about 1 a.m. The victim was never publicly identified.
- On June 18th a 26-year-old man was killed in the French Quarter. Police received word of the shooting in the 300 block of Bienville Street about 3:22 a.m. Responding officers found the victim shot multiple times. He died on the scene. The man was described as “local” but his identity has not been released. There was no subsequent identification of the victim.
- On June 19 two separate shootings overnight left two men dead. In the most recent incident a 45-year-old man was shot to death in Mid-City early Tuesday morning. Late Monday night a 36-year-old man who brandished a gun during an argument in a St. Claude home died after he was shot during the dispute. The 45-year-old man was shot several times about 1:15 a.m. inside a house in the 300 block of North Miro Street. The man died at a local hospital. The victim’s name has not been released. The earlier shooting happened about 10:25 p.m. in the 1700 block of France Street. A 33-year-old man was inside the home with a woman when the victim arrived and started an argument, Flot said. He did not say what the men argued about but said the victim flourished his gun and threatened the 33-year-old. The 33-year-old man then pulled out his own gun and shot the 36-year-old man multiple times. Doctors pronounced the victim dead at a local hospital. Police did not released the identity of either man.
- A man who was shot in the head June 20 in eastern New Orleans later died at a local hospital, New Orleans police said. The shooting happened shortly before 11 a.m. in the 10100 block of Curran Boulevard. Ronnie Williams was taken to Interim LSU Public Hospital where he died shortly after 2 p.m.
- A decomposing body found Wednesday in a pickup truck at an eastern New Orleans apartment complex has been identified as that of a woman reported missing earlier this week. A relative identified the body of 33-year-old Tanyana Elliott on Thursday, June 21.
- An 18-year-old New Orleans man, who was on the phone with police dispatchers while he ran from two assailants, was fatally shot June 22 in the 2100 block of Selma Street, police said. Marc Canty died in the backyard of 2128 Selma St. following the Friday afternoon chase June 22. Canty was shot in the back and chest.
- A man was found shot to death early June 24 in Gentilly Woods in the 5000 block of St. Ferdinand Street in Gentilly Woods. Officers responded to a call at 6:17 a.m. saying a man was lying in the 5000 block of St. Ferdinand Drive.
- Curtis Lewis, 34, of New Orleans was shot about 2:10 p.m. June 29 while he sat inside a pickup truck near Crowder Boulevard and Curran Road.
- A 27-year-old man was shot and killed late July 3 in Hollygrove, New Orleans police said. The shooting happened about 11 p.m. in the 9100 block of Olive Street.
- An unidentified man was found shot to death in Gentilly shortly before 1 p.m. July, according to the New Orleans Police Department. The man was found lying in the front yard of a house in the 2400 block of Pressburg Street, near Robert E. Lee Boulevard. The man had multiple gunshot wounds to his body and was pronounced dead at the scene. Blood was spattered on the lawn and sidewalk in front of the house at the corner of Pressburg Street and Music Street. Eugene Woodall, 33, of New Orleans died from multiple gunshot wounds.
- New Orleans police were called to an eastern New Orleans apartment complex Thursday morning to investigate the city’s latest murder. A woman was found dead just after 6:30 a.m. July 5 at Peltier Drive and Alcee Fortier Boulevard in Village de L’est.
- A 35-year-old man died on the St. Claude Avenue bridge over the Industrial Canal late Thursday after someone shot him, the New Orleans Police Department said. Drivers crossing the eastbound lanes about 11:20 p.m. spotted Quinndale Gahie lying in the middle lane, authorities said. He was covered in blood and unresponsive.
- A man was shot and killed Saturday evening July 8 inside of a house on the corner of N. Johnson Street and Pauline Street in the Upper 9th Ward. Friends and family stood outside the police tape in the light rain as the man’s body was loaded into the coroner’s van. Police said the victim was shot in the head shortly after 5 p.m. A man who said he was the victim’s cousin identified him as 28-year-old Terell Walker. The cousin said that Walker did not live in the house in which he was shot.
- A man was shot to death inside a cab early July 9 in eastern New Orleans, police said. The man was identified as Ali Husnain, 44, said John Gagliano, chief investigator for the New Orleans coroner’s office.
Ali Husnain was shot to death in his United cab early Monday Morning. Police received a call of “unknown trouble” in a parking lot behind an apartment complex in the 6000 block of Downman Road, near the intersection of Babyon and South Hermes streets, about 5:30 a.m. Officers found the man in the driver’s seat of the cab with an apparent gunshot wound to the head. He was pronounced dead on the scene.
- A 19-year-old man who was shot Sunday night in the Iberville public housing complex died Monday at University Hospital about 12:30 a.m. July 9. Terrance Lewis of New Orleans was shot in the stomach in the 1400 block of Bienville Street and transported to the hospital in critical condition.
- Two men were fatally shot as they sat in a sport-utility vehicle Tuesday morning July 10 in St. Claude, New Orleans police said.The shooting was reported about 8:30 a.m. in the 1900 block of Feliciana Street.
- A 19-year-old man was killed and a 17-year-old girl suffered a graze wound to the arm in a shooting Tuesday afternoon in the 7th Ward, police said. The shooting was reported at around 1:45 p.m. in a backyard near the corner of Arts and North Rocheblave streets. The victim has been identified as Jaquin Pittman. Pittman’s aunt, Collette Hicks, described her nephew as a “good boy” who attended church every Sunday and graduated recently from Salmen High School in Slidell. He was headed to Norfolk, Va., on Monday to begin a stint in the Air Force, she said. Another of Pittman’s aunts ran barefoot from her car after arriving at the scene. “Let me see him!” she wailed. “If I see him, he’ll wake up.”</liL
Another of Pittman’s aunts ran barefoot from her car after arriving at the scene. “Let me see him!” she wailed. “If I see him, he’ll wake up.”
- Three men were killed July 10 in two unrelated incidents within a mile of each other. The first shooting happened about 9 a.m. in the 1900 block of Feliciana Street, when a shooter apparently walked up to a GMC sport-utility vehicle and sprayed it with bullets, fatally wounding Kendrick Williams, 24, and Sheldon Stewart, 40, authorities said. About five hours later, homicide detectives were called to another double shooting on the edge of the 7th Ward. Jaquan Pittman, 19, of Slidell, was in the backyard of his grandparents’ home on the corner of Arts and North Dorgenois streets with his 17-year-old girlfriend when a gunman opened fire about 1:45 p.m., police and family said.
- Authorities have identified the man who was found shot to death early July 16 in Central City as Tremell Williams. Officers responding to a call of shots fired near Dryades and Seventh streets about 1 a.m. found Williams, 37, on the ground. He was shot in the head, abdomen and hip and died on the scene.
- New Orleans police are investigating the stabbing death of a 42-year-old woman in eastern New Orleans late Monday morning. The incident occurred in the 7400 block of Crestmont Road. officers received a call from a family member about 11:23 a.m. in a residence on that block saying a woman had been stabbed several times. Responding officers found Shannon Brunious inside the home. She was pronounced dead on the scene.
- New Orleans police are investigating the shooting death of a 19-year-old man at an Algiers apartment complex July afternoon. Relatives identified the man as Ernest Causey. He was shot and ran inside a friend’s first-floor apartment at the complex in the 3700 block of Garden Oaks Drive, where he died.
- A 37-year-old man shot dead early Monday morning in Central City grew up in Los Angeles and moved to New Orleans shortly before Hurricane Katrina to meet his father for the first time. The journey led Tremell Williams to Clarence Ledet, who welcomed his son. Williams moved into his father’s home in Algiers.
- A 53-year-old man was stabbed to death in Algiers Monday night, New Orleans police said. He was the second murder victim in that neighborhood in less than five hours. The incident occurred about 9 p.m. in the 900 block of Belleville Street, according to officer Frank Robertson, a department spokesman. He said the man was stabbed several times and died on the scene.Earlier July 17 at 4:30 p.m. Monday afternoon, Ernest Causey, 19, was shot outside an apartment complex in the 3700 block of Garden Oaks Drive in Algiers. Causey ran into a friend’s apartment in the complex where he died.
- Two men were shot to death late Sunday night July 23 in the Milneburg neighborhood, according to a statement issued by New Orleans police. The incident happened shortly before midnight in the 6200 block of Painters Street. A 26-year-old man was found suffering from a gunshot wound to the chest and a 22-year-old man was found suffering from a gunshot wound to the head. Someone opened fire on Raymon Jones, 22, and Montreal Jones, 26, about 11:45 p.m. in the 6200 block of Painters Street..
- New Orleans police are investigating the shooting death early Friday morning July 27 of an unidentified man in the 7th Ward. The incident happened shortly after midnight in the 2000 block of Marais Street.
- 61-year-old man was shot in the Edgewood Park neighborhood in the Gentilly area Friday afternoon July 27. He died shortly afterward, according to preliminary information. The shooting occurred in the 2700 block of Verbena Street.
- New Orleans police are investigating a triple homicide in the 7th Ward July 27. Police said two women and a man were found unresponsive in an apartment, according to preliminary information. They were found Friday afternoon in the 1900 block of Old Prieur Street in the downstairs apartment of a two-story home. The New Orleans coroner’s office confirmed Saturday that the victims of a triple homicide Friday in the 7th Ward were a woman, her son and her daughter-in-law. The victims were identified as Consuela Lewis, 58; her son, Kevin Lewis, 26; and his wife, Lachandra Lewis, 28
- New Orleans police are investigating the shooting death of a 23-year-old man in the St. Claude neighborhood late Friday night July 27. This incident, the sixth homicide in the city on Friday, occurred in the 3700 block of North Villere Street about 10 p.m. investigate a homicide in the St. Claude neighborhood in the 3700 block of North Villere Street in New Orleans, La., Friday. Responding officers found the man lying in the front lawn of a house in that block.
- A man was found shot to death in a grassy field in Algiers on Tuesday afternoon July 31, New Orleans police said. The victim, who carried no identification, was found in the 2600 block of Vespasian Boulevard, near the corner of Wall Boulevard, about 4:30 p.m.
- A 34-year-old man was found dead midday Sunday August 12 inside of his house near the intersection of Gen. Ogden Street and Heaton Street. The man was identified as David Crain by John Gagliano, chief investigator for the Orleans Parish coroner’s office. Crain had suffered from multiple gunshot wounds. The call came into police just before 1 p.m., though it is unclear at this time when the man was shot. Neighbors did not report hearing any gunshots or seeing anything unusual at the man’s small tan shotgun house where they say he lived with three large dogs. A neighbor who did not wish to be identified said she saw Crain walking his dogs every day before and after work. “He was a real nice guy,” the neighbor said. She also said that Crain would often play loud music inside his house, and that around 11 p.m. on Saturday night she had heard his music from inside her home.
- New Orleans police are investigating the shooting death of a man in front of Xclusive Cuts and Style in the 7500 block of Chef Menteur Highway on Thursday afternoon. About 1:30 pm July 18, police responded to several calls about gunfire, and found a man lying between the parking lot and front of the building. He had been shot several times and died at the scene. He was not identified.
- New Orleans police are investigating the shooting death of a man in Algiers late Thursday night August 17. The incident occurred just before midnight in the 3500 block of Blair Street. The victim was found in the front lawn of a residence in that block with some narcotics nearby. He had been shot several times and was pronounced dead on the scene, He was not identified.
- A 20-year-old New Orleans man died hours after he was shot several times Friday August 17 in Central City. Raymond White died of gunshot wounds to the head. Police found White lying on his back in the 1600 block of South Saratoga Street with multiple gunshot wounds shortly before 12:48 p.m.
- Authorities have identified the man fatally shot Wednesday August 22 in Central City as 18-year-old Dionte Jerell Lewis. Someone opened fire on Lewis about 5 p.m. in the 2800 block of Magnolia Street, police said. Lewis was hit by at least three bullets fired from a car while he was outside the Harmony Oaks Apartments.
- A man was shot multiple times Tuesday night in the 1200 block of Teche Street in Algiers and died, New Orleans Police reported. Tory Butler, 30, died shortly after 9:20 p.m. after being shot outside of a bar in the 1200 block of Teche Street in Algiers. Butler was celebrating his 30th birthday that night. The 30-year-old victim was in front of a bar around 9:20 p.m., when a suspect approached and shot him before fleeing the area. The unmarked bar is called Junior’s Place.
- A 25-year-old man was fatally shot outside of a Central City apartment complex Monday morning, according to the New Orleans Police Department. Officers found the victim lying on a driveway in the 3300 block of South Saratoga Street. Someone had shot the man in the head about 10 a.m. and Darell Harney, 25, was pronounced dead on the scene.
- New Orleans police are investigating a homicide in Algiers. About 6:40 p.m. September 4, a 21-year-old man died after he was shot in the head in the 6000 block of Tullis Drive, according to Officer Garry Flot, a police spokesman.
The man, whose name is being withheld by authorities until his family is notified, was found lying on the sidewalk in front of an apartment complex. He was never publicly identified.
- Two people killed within hours of each other in Algiers September 5 have been identified by the Orleans Parish coroner’s office. Jamal Thomas, 21, and Shonrae Lee, 34, were killed in separate incidents roughly eight hours apart starting on Tuesday evening. New Orleans police have not released motives or suspects in the incidents. Two victims killed within hours of each other in Algiers have been identified by the Orleans Parish Coroner’s Office. Lee was shot and killed during a domestic incident early Wednesday morning at a home at 2012 Hendee Street in Algiers. Police were called out the home at about 2:36 a.m. and found Lee with a gunshot wound to the chest.
- In the other incident, Thomas was found with a gunshot wound to the head in front of an apartment complex in the 6000 block of Tullis Drive shortly after 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday. Police found the young man lying on the ground after investigating a report of a shooting.
- A 31-year-old 7th Ward man was shot dead Wednesday afternoon September 5 in the Fontainebleau neighborhood. Teron Crawford was pulled out of his new root-beer-colored Acura TL in the 3000 block of Audubon Street by a group of people who arrived in another car, according to preliminary reports. At first there was physical fight; then he was shot about 4:40 p.m. in the 3000 block of Audubon street near Fig Street.
- New Orleans police are investigating the fatal shooting of a man in Central City on Monday September 17. Officers were dispatched about 10:30 a.m. to the 2300 block of South Prieur Street in reference to a “male down.” The victim, who police said appeared to be in his mid-20s or 30s, was found lying on the sidewalk next to a black Nissan sedan parked in front of a shotgun house. On the street and sidewalk surrounding the victim’s body, police laid at least 16 neon green evidence cones, which usually indicate bullet casings. “They say they shot about 30 times,” said a woman watching the crime scene. “In broad daylight. They ain’t got no morals.” The victim was Rickey Cheneau, 30.
- A 40-year-old man who was shot several times last Thursday in eastern New Orleans died late Monday night. Devalon Reed died from his injuries, said John Gagliano, chief investigator for the Orleans Parish Coroner’s Office. Police found Reed about 11:48 p.m. with multiple gunshot wounds as he lay on the ground “among a pile of debris” in the 8900 block of Middleboro Road on Sept. 13.
- A triple shooting in Central City Wednesday night September 20 left one 25-year-old man dead and two other male victims, aged 18 , injured. The incident happened about 8 p.m. near the intersection of Martin Luther King Boulevard and Magnolia Street. Lamar Walker, 25, was leaving his usual Central City corner store about 8 p.m. Wednesday when a car sped up and someone opened fire, killing him and leaving two nearby teenagers in critical condition. A second victim was identified as Garold Lewis, 25, who died of multiple gunshot wounds. The third victim, an 18-year-old, is expected to survive, his family said.
- A 38-year-old man shot multiple times early Thursday morning September 20 on the edge of Treme neighborhood later died at a hospital, a coroner’s spokesman said. He was the fourth man to be shot — and the second killed — in New Orleans within five hours. Police found the victim lying on his right side suffering multiple gunshot wounds at 12:30 a.m. in the 200 block of North Roman near the Historic St. James AME Church, according to a police incident log. He was never publicly identified.
- One man was killed, and another injured, in a shooting Monday afternoon in the West Carrollton area, New Orleans police said. The incident occurred around 5:36 p.m in the 8300 block of Cohn Street. Terrell Jackson, 27, was shot at least three times and died at the scene, said John Gagliano, a spokesman for the Orleans Parish Coroner’s Office. The wounded man, also 27, was shot in the arm and taken to a hospital, Williams said. The gunman entered a residence in the 8300 block of Cohn Street where the 27-year-old men were. An argument spilled into the street and ended with gunfire.
- Two 4-year-old girls were sleeping in their pajamas in front of the TV on Sunday about 11 p.m. when two masked gunmen kicked in the front door of their St. Claude home, ready to kill, the girls’ grandmother said. New Orleans police said the gunmen marched through the house to the girls’ mother’s bedroom, waking up the woman and her 30-year-old boyfriend, Jason Alexander. After making “unknown demands,” the gunmen brought Alexander to the back of the house, where they shot him once in the head, killing him. The house, which is in the 1100 block of Louisa Street near the corner of Marais Street, was in “total disarray” Monday, said the girls’ 53-year-old grandmother, who wished to remain anonymous.
- After hours of knocking on doors and searching abandoned houses in Central City, a search team comprised of family, friends and neighbors finally found 18-year-old Jamal Christian, who had been missing since Sunday, on September 25. Lying face down behind some bushes outside an elementary school playground, Christian was dead, shot once in the back, police said. New Orleans police are investigating whether Christian was injured Sunday night during a shooting that followed a second-line parade near South Robertson and St. Andrew streets. According to John Gagliano, chief investigator for the Orleans Parish coroner’s office, the gunshot wound indicated that Christian was shot 24 to 36 hours before his body was found outside the Mahalia Jackson Early Childhood & Learning Center in the 2400 block of Jackson Avenue. Christian’s family had reported him missing Monday about 8 p.m., said police spokesman Frank Robertson III. Following the Sunday shooting, police had actively looked for a second gunshot victim after witnesses reported that two men had been shot, though only one had been located. That victim had been shot in the foot, Robertson said. “We exhausted all kinds of man hours like we do with any missing person case,” Robertson said. “This case was relatively new. I don’t think we had done fliers as of yet, but it’s a process we do.” But neighbors criticized the police response, saying they saw officers driving around the streets near the shooting, but never walking the neighborhood on foot. Christian’s mother, Tyanka Lewis, 37, said she went to the police station after learning her son was missing on Monday and begged officers to help the family search the dark neighborhood streets. “They said, ‘All we can do is put in a missing persons report and leave it up to Homicide (Division),” Lewis said.
- Terrell Jackson, 27, died on Monday September 24 in the 8300 block of Cohn Street. Jackson was shot at least three times and died at the scene. Another man, also 27, was shot in the arm. Suspect Darrell George and Jackson “were involved in a verbal altercation inside of a residence in the 8300 block of Cohn Street,” according to police. George produced a pistol and ordered Jackson to leave the residence.George then shot Jackson, according to a warrant issued for George’s arrest.
- The New Orleans coroner’s office on Monday released the identities of two men killed in shootings in separate parts of the city Saturday night September 29. Jose King, 54, was the victim of a homicide in the St. Roch neighborhood, and 27-year-old Courtney Pittman was slain in Hollygrove, said John Gagliano, the coroner’s chief investigator. Police found King shot in the head and body inside of a Chrysler Sebring in the 3100 block of Marigny Street about 8 p.m. He died on the scene, Gagliano said. An hour or so later, Pittman was shot several times on a porch in the 8900 block of Marks Street. He died at the scene as well, according to Gagliano.
- A 35-year-old man killed in a shooting September 30 in the 1900 block of North Claiborne Avenue about 11 p.m. Mattnell Allen was found lying in the street and died there from gunshot wounds to the upper torso.
- A 35-year-old man was killed and a 37-year-old woman was hurt in a shooting late Sunday Oct. 1 in the 1900 block of North Claiborne Avenue, according to the New Orleans Police Department. Officers responded to the incident about 11 p.m. and found the man lying in the street with several bullet wounds. Neither victim was publicly identified.
- The New Orleans coroner’s office has released the name of a young woman slain in a shooting early Monday at a home in the eastern New Orleans. Marguerite Washington, 18, was killed in the 7700 block of Branch Drive about 1:30 a.m. when someone fired bullets through the window of a bedroom she was sleeping in, hitting her multiple times.
- A 24-year-old man was fatally shot in the walkway of an Algiers apartment complex late Tuesday October 2, according to the New Orleans Police Department. The slaying occurred just before midnight in the 2100 block of Cypress Acres Drive. When they were notified of the incident, police found the man shot several times, NOPD spokesman officer Garry Flot said. The victim died on the scene.
- The New Orleans Police Department is investigating the death of a 24-year-old man, who was gunned down late Tuesday October 3 in Algiers. The victim’s name was not released as of Wednesday morning, but his death marks at least the seventh homicide in New Orleans’ West Bank community in less than two months. The man was shot numerous times at the base of a stairwell at the MetroWide Apartments, 2110 Cypress Acres Drive. Residents said they heard 10 to 12 gunshots about 11:30 p.m., and the victim had been shot in the back and in the face.
- A 61-year-old grandfather, who was found stabbed to death in his Mid-City home Thursday, had watched old Westerns the night before with a friend, telling him, “I’ll see you in the morning.” But October 4 about 1 p.m., a family member called police to report the murder, in the 3200 block of Bienville Street, NOPD spokeswoman officer Hilal Williams said. One of the last people to see the victim alive was his childhood friend, Herbert Harris, 77. The two had grown up together in the neighborhood near Orleans Parish Prison, Harris said. Unity, an organization that helps the homeless, had helped the victim move into the home, where he had lived alone for the past two years, Harris said
- One man died and another was wounded in a shooting that occurred in the 1800 block of St. Philip Street about 1 a.m. Thursday October 4, according to the New Orleans Police Department. Officers responding to a 911 call reporting the violence found the victims inside an abandoned residence suffering from multiple bullet wounds.
- The New Orleans coroner’s office has identified the 26-year-old man fatally shot in the 900 block of North Rocheblave Street early Friday afternoon October 12. Jamie Washington was found lying outside an abandoned residence suffering from a gunshot wound to the head.
- New Orleans police are investigating a deadly shooting in the St. Bernard area Saturday night. At least one victim was shot and killed, said Officer Hilal Williams, spokeswoman for the New Orleans Police Department. The shooting occurred at 1500 block of Lafreniere Street about 11:10 p.m. The victims were never publicly identified.
- New Orleans Police are investigating a quadruple shooting in the 1500 block of Lafreniere Street Saturday night that left one man dead and three women injured. The incident occurred shortly after 11 p.m. Officers found the body of a 34-year old man suffering from multiple gunshot wounds to the body. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Gregory Foley died from multiple gunshot wounds.
- A man whose body was discovered in a house in the 1500 block of Delery Street Thursday evening October 18 was beaten to death, said John Gagliano, the chief investigator for the Orleans Parish Coroner’s Office. Police found the 46-year old victim shortly after 6:30 p.m. after neighbors called complaining about a smell coming from the home. Eldridge Young, 46, was dead between seven and 10 days prior to being found Thursday evening
- A 25-year-old man who was shot a number of times in the face in the 2600 block of Dumaine Street in New Orleans late Tuesday has died, according to the city’s coroner’s office. The victim was pronounced dead at Interim LSU Public Hospital about 7:30 a.m. Wednesday October 17. The New Orleans Police Department said it was notified of the shooting at 10:37 p.m. Tuesday. The 2600 block of Dumaine Street, between North Broad and North Dorgenois streets, has become one of New Orleans’ most violent street blocks in recent years. At least six killings have occurred there since Hurricane Katrina. Joshua Short, 25, died at Interim LSU Public Hospital
- Aside from leaving a 34-year-old man dead, a shooting in the 1500 block of Lafreniere Street in New Orleans on Saturday night October 13 caused a pregnant woman who was wounded to go into labor early. The baby was not injured and “is fine” police said. Gregory Foley died as a result of multiple gunshot wounds. A 25-year-old woman was shot in the wrist; a 22-year-old woman was shot in the leg; and the pregnant woman, whose age wasn’t available, was shot in the shoulder.
- A 37-year-old man was found stabbed to death on Wednesday about 6:45 p.m. in the rear apartment at 1919 Josephine St. in Central City. He died at the scene from an apparent stab wound to the shoulder. The victim was never publicly identified.
- A 23-year-old New Orleans woman told police she shot her 3-year-old son and drowned her 4-year-old daughter in their home in the 3300-block of Audubon Court on Wednesday October 19, New Orleans police said. She was booked late Wednesday with two counts of first-degree murder. Chelsea Thornton told police she killed her two children, then took a bus to a nearby hospital because she was suffering from stomach pains and a headache. The children’s grandmother found the children dead in the bathtub of the family apartment just before 5:30 p.m., and called police. No one else was at the house when the grandmother arrived, police said.
- The Orleans Parish Coroner’s Office has identified a 37-year-old man who was stabbed to death in Central City on Wednesday. The victim’s name was Marcel Ivory, said John Gagliano, coroner’s chief investigator.
An NOPD detective looks into the rear apartment of a house in the 1900 block of Josephine Street where 37-year-old Marcel Ivory was found stabbed to death on Wednesday evening October 21. Ivory’s body was found with stab wounds to the shoulder around 6:45 p.m. Wednesday in a rear apartment in the 1900 block of Josephine Street.
- The family of a 21-year-old man who was shot and killed Friday October 19 in the Treme-Lafitte area was still reeling in shock Sunday. Christopher Lambert was a “family man” who loved to play basketball, said his aunt, Geraldine Lambert.
“The family is taking it very hard,” the victim’s aunt said. “He was just the type of person to keep you laughing. It’s a shock the way he died.” Lambert was shot in the head about 4:45 p.m. inside of an abandoned house in the 2500 block of Orleans Avenue.
- The New Orleans coroner’s office has identified a man who was killed in a shooting in the 7000 block of Yorktown Drive on Tuesday October 24 that left at least four others wounded. Correy Harris, 23, died from his wounds when he arrived at Interim LSU Public Hospital. Police say that three men opened gunfire on the victims in eastern New Orleans about 7:20 p.m.
- A University of New Orleans student majoring in film arts was fatally shot Friday night October 19 in eastern New Orleans, according to officials. Police found Valan May sitting in his car in the 7900 block of Burke Avenue with a gunshot wound to the right side of his head. May died at a hospital later that evening, said John Gagliano, chief investigator for the New Orleans coroner’s office. He was 24. May graduated in 2007 from Peabody Magnet High School in Alexandria in Rapides Parish, his social media profiles say. He subsequently received an associate’s degree from the University of Phoenix and enrolled at UNO. At UNO, May was a sophomore, school spokesman Adam Norris said Thursday. May’s social media pages suggest he was a devoted fan of professional wrestling, particularly World Wrestling Entertainment and its personalities. He also wrote a number of love poems, some of which he posted on social media as well as on a website for amateur poets. One of his pieces was about losing “his one and only girl” to gun violence on her birthday.
- A man was fatally shot November 11 in the 9300 block of Airline Highway.Officers responding to reports of a shooting around 6 p.m., found a male suffering from several gunshot wounds to the chest. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Raymond Cobbins, 30, was gunned down outside the London Lodge Motel. Several people, many wearing Saints or Falcons jerseys, gathered in the parking lot to watch the investigation.
- A man has died after being shot October 11 in Algiers, according to NOPD. Jared Adams, 34, died several hours after being shot in Algiers at 7:45 p.m The incident occurred around 8 p.m. November 12 in the 500 block of Socrates Street. The victim was standing in the street and suffered a gunshot wound to the hip. He died later, police said on Monday.
- A 29-year-old man died Sunday night November 19 after being shot near the corner of St. Bernard Avenue and Henriette Delille Street, according to the New Orleans Police Department. Officers responded to the incident about 10:30 p.m. and found Lawrence Walker lying in the middle of the street. Walker suffered multiple bullet wounds. Paramedics took him to a hospital, but doctors pronounced him dead there.
- New Orleans police are investigating the shooting death of a man inside a car in the Lower Ninth Ward Thursday morning. Authorities said the 25-year-old victim was found around 9 a.m. November 22 in the in the 6400 block of Marais Street. The victim was never publicly identified.
- New Orleans Police are investigating the fatal shooting of an unidentified man that occurred Sunday morning Novem er 25 shortly before 6:30 a.m. in the 5100 block of Gen. DeGaulle Drive. Officers located the victim lying in a parking lot suffering from multiple gunshot wounds to the body. He was pronounced dead on the scene. The victim was never publicly identified.
- A man who was shot in the 1300 block of Columbus Street early Sunday died from his wounds a little more than 13 hours later, according to New Orleans authorities. Officials have not established the man’s name, and his age isn’t available. The victim was shot in the right side of the neck and the left chest area about 3:50 a.m. He was never publicly identified.
- Though Fernando Eyzaguirre had not yet gotten his technology degree from Southeastern Louisiana University, he had his next few years mapped out, according to his family. He was going to work at an established tech firm before starting his own business with the help of his father, Gilberto, who was formerly a popular waiter at Galatoire’s and now makes his living in real estate. Someone, however, brought a brutal end to those plans early Sunday, fatally shooting Fernando Eyzaguirre in the parking lot of an Algiers strip mall early Sunday November 27 and driving off with his car, forcing the victim’s kin to spend Tuesday arranging a funeral they can’t comprehend is happening. “Fernando was an angel — the ideal son,” Gilberto Eyzaguirre said in the living room of his family’s home in Algiers’ Tall Timbers subdivision. “He was easygoing and sweet. He was dedicated to his goals, which were cut short.” A teary-eyed Mila Eyzaguirre, Fernando’s mother and Gilberto’s wife, added, “It’s terrible. It’s not fair. … It doesn’t seem real.”
- The Orleans Parish Coroner’s Office released the identity of a 39-year-old man who was fatally shot on a 7th Ward block last Sunday. Darrick Brasley was gunned down in the 1300 block of Columbus Street street early Sunday morning November 29 and died 13 hours later from his wounds.
- A 40-year-old woman was killed and her daughter critically injured during a shooting outside of an eastern New Orleans apartment complex Monday night, police said. New Orleans police are searching for the killer in connection with the murder of Tiesha Nix, who was gunned down in the parking lot of an apartment complex in the 6800 block of Parc Brittany Boulevard around 10:38 p.m. Nix’s daughter, Renesha Nix, 25, was also shot multiple times, allegedly by Phillips.
- A 51-year-old man shot multiple times Saturday evening December 8 in eastern New Orleans died at 12:08 a.m. at a local hospital, the New Orleans Police Department said. The incident happened around 8:40 p.m. in the 7900 block of Read Boulevard. The victim was never publicly identified.
- A man was shot and killed during an apparent robbery attempt in Algiers on Monday night December 11 after he startled the intruders who were in the process of burglarizing his home, police said. New Orleans Police said that 35-year-old Cory Bush was returning home to his residence in the 6400 block of Brunswick Court around 9:45 p.m., while unbeknownst to him, three armed gunmen were already inside. Bush, unaware of the intruders inside of his home, opened the front door and began to enter the house. Startled by Bush’s appearance, one of the gunmen began opening fire, shooting him multiple times in the chest, police said.
- A 57-year-old man was found slain in a Bayou St. John apartment late Wednesday morning December 12, according to the New Orleans Police Department. A friend spotted Donald Collins lying in a pool of blood in a common area shared by rental units above the St. Roch Kitchen, 1025 N. Broad St., about 11 a.m.
- Allen Johnson, 54, was killed in the 1800 block of Music Street in St. Roch on Monday December 10 about 11 p.m., police said.
- Morris Smith, 28, was fatally shot on a sidewalk in the 8900 block of Olive Street in Hollygrove on Wednesday December 12 about 2:15 p.m., police said.
- Two the victims were slain, and a third was badly wounded, in a shooting in the 2400 block of St. Andrew Street in Central City about 8 p.m. December 16. Responding officers found 18-year-old Lawrence Burt lying partially in a white Chrysler 300. Burt, from Houston, died on the scene from multiple bullet wounds, said John Gagliano, the New Orleans coroner’s chief investigator. A 56-year-old woman, Vivian Snyder, and a 35-year-old man were spotted near the Chrysler. Gunfire struck both, and paramedics took them to a hospital for treatment. Snyder, however, was dead when she arrived at the emergency room, Gagliano said. The unidentified 35-year-old man was listed in critical condition,
- Police say they discovered a 56-year-old Jefferson Parish taxi driver fatally shot December 16 inside of an A Service cab, which had struck a construction barrier by the corner of South Claiborne Avenue and Hollygrove Street and stalled. Joseph Wilfred was pronounced dead at the scene. It appeared Wilfred was killed during a robbery, police said.
- New Orleans police are investigating a fatal shooting in Central City. On Monday December 17 about 3:45 p.m., police were called to a shooting at the corner of LaSalle and Delchaise streets. An 18-year-old man was found lying on the ground with multiple gunshot wounds. He was taken to a local hospital, where he died. The victim was never publicly identified.
- Devanta Thomas, 18, was gunned down about 3:45 p.m. while walking near the corner of LaSalle and Delachaise streets in Central City on December 18. Thomas was taken to a local hospital, where he died.
- On Tuesday morning December 19, police responded to a call of a “male down” near the corner of Montegut and North Villere streets in the St. Claude neighborhood. Police say Nathan Johnson, 36, died on the scene from at least one gunshot wound.
- Two men were shot in the 7th Ward Sunday evening December 23, one in the face, the other in the upper body, at 2100 St. Anthony St. One of of the victims died, the NOPD reports. No further details were provided at the time. The victims were never publicly identified.
- A double shooting Sunday night December 23 in the 7th Ward left one man dead and a second seriously injured. The shooting happened at approximately 10:40 p.m. in the 1900 block of Tonti Street. Police responded to a call of shots fired and found a 24-year-old man fatally shot multiple times to the body inside a Nissan Maxima. The second victim, a 25-year-old man, ran to the 2100 block of St. Anthony St. after being shot in the face. He was transported to a local hospital where he underwent surgery. His condition is unknown at this time. Neither victim was publicly identified.
- The Orleans Parish coroner’s office on Wednesday released the identity of a 20-year-old man who was slain on Christmas Eve. Darrien Delatte, of New Orleans, was found shot to death in a 6th Ward alley on Dec. 24, said John Gagliano, chief investigator and spokesman for the Orleans Parish coroner’s office. Police arrived about 3:15 p.m. Monday at the 2300 block of Dumaine Street to find Delatte’s body lying on the alley sidewalk, shot multiple times. A handgun was recovered at the scene, according to initial reports.
- A man was found shot to death on a sidewalk in the 6th Ward Thursday afternoon December 27. It was the second homicide the New Orleans Police Department investigated within the span of one hour. Police found the victim about 4:20 p.m. lying near a sidewalk in the intersection of St. Ann and North Dorgenois Street. He was pronounced dead on scene. About an hour earlier, shots rang out in the 7th Ward and a man was slain outside a house. He was shot in the back of the head, police said. Police arrived about 3:30 p.m. to the scene in the 1800 block of North Rocheblave Street, said officer Frank Robertson III, spokesman for the New Orleans Police Department. The victim was found lying on a driveway outside a house. Neither victim was publicly identified.
- A man was found shot to death outside of a church in the 9th Ward on Sunday morning December 30, police said. The New Orleans Police Department said the man was found inside of a blue Chevy Malibu near the 3200 block of Pleasure Street, in front of the Greater Carver Missionary Baptist church. He was identified by the Orleans Parish Coroner’s Office as Ronald Washington, 32. Washington was found dead around 9 a.m. by a citizen from the area, police said. He had been shot once.
- A man was fatally shot in the 2900 block of Louisiana Avenue on Sunday night December 30, according to the New Orleans Police Department. Investigators say witnesses were leaving the bar Big Man’s Lounge about 8:30 p.m. when a man sitting on nearby steps started firing a gun at them. Lester Adams, 42, of Chalmette, was hit by more than one bullet during the attack, and he was taken to Interim LSU Public Hospital in life-threatening condition, police added. Adams died at the hospital from his wounds about 3:50 a.m. Monday.
- The Orleans Parish coroner’s office released the identities of the two men killed in separate shootings on New Year’s Eve. The man shot to death near the intersection of North Dorgenois and Mazant streets on Monday afternoon was identified as 21-year-old Jared Haynes.
- Another man slain earlier on the same day in Algiers was also identified. Eric Hatley, 24, was found dead inside a white Chevrolet Camaro with several gunshot wounds to his body, authorities said. That shooting occurred about 1:10 p.m. in the 2000 block of Cypress Acres Drive on Monday afternoon. Hatley was dead on the scene, police said.
“Despite a violent Friday night in New Orleans during which two people were killed and eight were wounded, [Police Chief Ronal] Serpas said, “It’s good to see that our new special events strategy for the city during big tourism weekends is working in both the downtown area and in our residential neighborhoods’.”
A 49-year-old man also died after he was shot just after 2 a.m. Jan. 18 outside a home in the 7800 block of South Coronet Court in eastern New Orleans. The victim was not identified on NOLA.com
Someone shot Joseph Harris, 28, of New Orleans shortly after midnight Jan. 18 in the 2200 block of North Roman Street.
For more than a year, it’s been a standard, if controversial, practice of the New Orleans Police Department in the wake of a murder: A news release goes out with some boilerplate details, sometimes naming the deceased, but always listing his or her criminal record. The point, according to NOPD Superintendent Ronal Serpas, is to show that the city’s murder epidemic largely involves criminals — on both sides of the gun. But critics have said it’s unseemly, adding to the grief of bereaved families and blaming victims for their own demise before the facts are even known…
So the department was presented with a sticky situation Wednesday, when Harry “Mike” Ainsworth, 44, was murdered in Algiers Point while trying to interrupt a carjacking in progress. Ainsworth, whose young children sat with him as he drew his final breaths, was widely described as a standup guy: a contractor and a religious man who volunteered with a citizens’ support group for police.
He also had a criminal record…This afternoon, the NOPD issued another release, this one following its usual format — with a few twists. It announced that the FBI was assisting in this probe, and then heaped praise on Ainsworth, noting that he helped to paint and repair the 8th District station. It closed with a recitation of his record, which includes arrests for distribution of marijuana, distribution of LSD and several other offenses, dating to the late 1980s.
I find it hard to believe there were no murders between Oct. 19 and Nov. 11, but this list relies on NOLA.COM for its information.
It is finished.
The NOLA.COM murder database lists 151 murders so far in 2013, with five more days to go. I hope to have the 2013 list finished shortly after the first of the year.